View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #561
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
James Taylor wrote:
I thought of some wonderful and factual replies, but I will settle on:

To some degree, generalizations contain some truth. However, the generalization is rarely the truth.

There are many 'types' of fighting - wrestling, escrima, TKD, judo, jujitsu, aikido, kung fu, savate, etc... Each has techniques for 'fighting' or facing single opponents and multiple opponents --thus it is a martial art...

As someone who has studied jujitsu, I would rather stay on my feet than grapple--I like strikes, throws, and joint locks that let me remain mobile. You have to ask yourself: 'What is your goal and who (a drunk, many people, etc.) is your opponent?' Is your goal to get a quick tap? Is it to defeat the opponent? Is it to survive? Must you fight more than one person or a single individual? Each of the encounters listed above may dictate different methods.

Each martial art serves a purpose -- mainly to give you confidence so that you don't 'freeze like a deer in headlights' and are able to respond to an attack/situation. Which art you use and how adept you are at the art depends on many factors.

Just a question...could you have tapped those participants in the UFO who were not using Aikido? Perhaps it is the skill of each person rather than the art itself that determined the outcome...

Perspective...

C
well put

Dan Hulley