View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #19
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Did I create a new counter?

Quote:
Shany Golan wrote: View Post
i've been aikido practicing almost a year now.
Getting to find your own intuitive responses after only one year of practice is very nice. Great going!
Guess I no longer remember that phase in which everything looked new

Quote:
Well, you can say that during randori / test / real attacks on the streets, a lot of techniques will not come by so easily (aka: remembering) thus you must always to count on your sub-conscious mind (intuition) there for, if you train more about what you will do in randori you'll probably use them.
Indeed, practicing Aikido should be done mostly on the intuitive level. I remember one specific exercise in Japan, in which we were to move into contact and just respond, our Shihan was observing us and each time told one of us he should perform a technique, in 80% of the cases that person failed as the other one reacted better spontaneously or did some Keashi-waza immediately.

Quote:
Coming up with your own ideas (even if they exist, you wouldn't know it at the time) lets you think of situations at different aspect, this what i think (on top of basic/advanced techniques) what makes it worthwhile. blending and executing techniques with your own mind.
I have seen many beginners freeze the first time they are faced with the chaos of free-play Randori. It takes months for them to start responding the way they are taught. Starting to think on your so early is very good.

Quote:
if you look in the web, for aikido demonstrations of randoris you will notice that, most of the uke's techniques are repeatable throughout the videos (kotegaeshi, irimi-nage, koshi-nage..etc) not much, and yet they all do it over and over and over, is it because training is focused only on the basics?
I can not answer for others.

I can say that we always work much more on the basics, and practice the same dozen or so techniques (and rather 2-3 specific variations of each) over 90% of our Kata\Waza practice time, this holds true even during Yundasha practice. One always finds new things in those same techniques and it is easier to hone the mai\timing\distance skill this way.
I should mention we do not limit the situations, and often practice the same techniques, or some variations of it, in multiple situations during the same lesson. Given the variety of possible attacks (we often start in some hand grasp situation continue to shomen and then to punching attacks), it is never boring.

I would also like to note from my own experience, in free-play Randori (generally it is both sides attack however they like, whenever they like, thus giving the other opportunities to practice, and each may perform Keashi waza at will). I typically find myself applying a set of something like 3-4 techniques for one Uke, and when we change the Uke, I will change the set (or part of it), as though each Uke invites a different set of responses.

My previous technical remarks tried to explain the mistakes Uke did in his response, which have enabled the Keashi-Waza. After-all, had Uke done everything correctly and in a timely manner, it would have been impossible to reverse the situation.

BR
Amir