View Single Post
Old 08-02-2000, 08:52 AM   #20
Guest5678
Re: Prediction and it is all theory

Quote:
Frankk wrote:
Sorry Mongo, gotta disagree with you here. If it was all theory and dynamic as you say, even with just the simple application of force to defend against an attack, then all of our (Western and Eastern civ.) combat training and tradition has been for naught. Actually it is quite the opposite. Combat theory and behaviors have been quite well developed over the past 3000 years. The well trained person (be they martial artist, policeman, seal, marine)knows exactly how much force (with many variables) they want to exert in any given situation(with more variables). And likewise, we know that a person will attack in a certain fashion with an x amount of force with pretty easily recognizable variables.
And as for never being able to get that sort of training except in war, streets or prison, that also is not entirely true. There are types of training that do a pretty good job of mimicking combat stress.
Frankk
PS Lets continue on and talk about examples
Frankk,

That's the great thing about these forums, we get to hear different views on these subjects! Combat training, and the like is NEVER for naught. I would like to make MY view on this very clear. I truly believe in training, a lot! However, I also believe that we cannot predict or predetermine the reaction or interaction of engagement, regardless of the hours spent training. To have THAT ability is a fallacy of those that have not been in that kind of situation. Hopefully our training covers most possible responses, but there is no way to know for sure exactly what an opponent will do. Their responses will be based on their experience and skill, therefore you cannot predict the outcome. They may be more skilled than you or they may not. It's that simple.

A somewhat civilized example would be that you engage and somehow get the advantage with the person on the ground. Your "goal" at this point might be to just pin them there until they cool down or you might decide to put them to sleep, you happen to leave an opening and they stick a finger in your eye. Guess what, your "goal" will now probably change and I do believe it would be considered quite dynamic.........see what I mean?

In regard to "mimicking combat stress" yes, I will agree there are programs that do this well, however, the fact is that the trainee is entering the training program knowing they will not actually be killed. This creates a completely different mindset and environment than that of one where the person realizes that just one mistake could actually end their life, like say a prison guard working death row, or the police in some of the more "unpleasant" big city areas, or the military in combat. These all contain the reality of possible death. Either the element of death is there or it isn't, there is no halfway..........

Regards,

Dan Pokorny