View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: The Voice Steven Seagal interview

I watched this interview when it first aired, back in October 2012, if I remember correctly. In fact I still have it on my DVR.

It was a good interview. I watched it with my wife and a friend of ours. Well, I sort of forced them to watch it, as both ladies don't like Seagal. But they both said that the interview changed their opinion of him somewhat and that they liked the way he came across in the interview much more than in his movies.

I remember Seagal appearing very uncomfortable at the beginning of the interview. But that doesn't last. The interview is probably about 45 minutes long, so if it is broken into four parts on YouTube, Seagal probably only looks uncomfortable in the first part.

I am a big fan of Seagal. I always have been. He has made some bad movies, but he possesses a lot of skill and that cannot be denied.

One thing that raised my eyebrow in the interview was Seagal's statement that he met Morihei and heard him lecture shortly before Morihei died. Seagal said he never trained with him in anyway. Somehow I felt Seagal was being dishonest. I could very well be wrong, but I was under the impression that Seagal didn't arrive in Japan until after Morihei's death.

In any case, I do believe that Seagal made more of an effort to understand aikido on a deep level than probably any other modern practitioner.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki