View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #22
Mato-san
Iceland
Re: Who to call "Sensei"?

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
I recently received an email from an aikido dojo advertising some event they were having. Something at the 'bottom' of the email caught my eye.
"The only private Dojo offering authentic Aikido instruction in San Bernardino County?"
Since my dojo happens to be in San Bernardino County I replied with;
"Are you sure about that?"

Dojo-cho's response follows;
"Are you sure that's not true? If it isn't, i.e., if there are other privately-owned Dojo in the county being run by an authentic 4th Dan or above from Hombu, Yoshinkan, Tomiki or Ki No Kenkyukai, I would be glad to include their names. It would be great to see some of the people claiming authority to teach Aikido at our regional seminars with people like Saotome Sensei etc. too.

I really don't want us to be exclusive here, but as far as I know, we are. A practice club is not a Dojo - I know, I had one for years as nidan and sandan. There is a Dojo in Palm Springs run by a 2nd Dan who is a former student of mine, so I suppose I should include them...

Do let me know if you know of any others."

People can sure get hung up on titles, rank and stuff can't they.
They sure can.... they get so hung up on it that they forget about good Aikido... it is discusting

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!