View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: internal skills progress?

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Just to give you an idea of what I have to work with -- Chris is about 250-260 pounds. Brian runs around 270-280, I think. I can't use muscle to move them. My 190 pounds is fairly outclassed.
Hmmmmm... just to toss in my 2 cents. There is a difference between developing internal strength and using it martially. I often push and pull and downweight heavy things when I'm training, but I'm careful to keep the jin/kokyu-power as pure as I can and not try to overdo it (to keep from triggering normal strength/mechanics).

But pushing a person is a different thing. If you've ever watched me slowly demonstrating how to push someone in some direction, you'll notice that I will immediately object if they try to counter me with their hips. The reason I do that is not because I can't push them if I really want to, but because they're triggering my immediate instinct to snatch them downward as soon as they resist. I.e., my instinct when I feel resistance is to immediately take advantage of it and go the other way. But that would often ruin the point I'm trying to make at a workshop.

Push against your guys again and watch their hips. I'll bet you see them trying to counter by moving the hips forward and/or to the side. That's when you should throw them, not push them. No resistance should be the goal, so when pushing a human, you have to take into account what they're doing with their own forces.

FWIW

Mike