View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #283
DH
United_States
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Now...given that the Hombu had uchi-deshi who were there to train 60 hours a week, as well as a lot of really dedicated soto deshi, it seems to me that if Ueshiba had a system anything like Dan's, the fact that he was not there very often would not detract from the quality of the Aikido there.

Osensei would roll into town, come onto the mat, and talk about the kojiki. He'd define what he meant in the context of solo training. he'd explain it as a physical process, and display power. Then everyone would do their solo training in their spare time, then next time Osensei came to town he would test everyone.

But he didn't. He didn't transmit this, it is not a part of his teachings.
Yes ...he did to prewar students. We only know of some who talked about it but they had power and they had solo training. Shirata had a series. It would be interesting to read expanded versions of why virtually all of them went to hombu -run by Kisshomaru- and all stated that what they saw....was not the aikido they knew.
Couple that with Osensei showing up and booming "This is not my Aikido!" and it is pretty clear that none of the people involved in prewar Aikido recognized what Kisshomaru was doing as....aikido.

That said....
Why did all the pre-war guys -we know of- exhibit power and yet very few of the post war guys had it?

And, can we leave "Dan" out of this please. Sure I am arguing for a method but it isn't my method. All I can do is ask nicely but gees....

Dan