View Single Post
Old 08-08-2002, 10:16 PM   #19
Kevin Wilbanks
No, my prior senseis were John Stone and Robin Cooper, in Madison, WI.

Thanks for the assistance, but I think the dilemma is solved for the time being. We had a class a couple of days ago that was just too lame - it was the straw that broke the camel's back. There was some weapons practice and the demo was so sloppy and had so many rudimentary problems that I couldn't take it. In demos, I've seen too many grabbed punches, looking down, stiffness, etc... The membership of the club is unfit, uncommitted, and no one there, including me, should really be teaching classes regularly... it's like playing at Aikido... The bottom line is that it's just an unacceptable situation for me, and I have to face up to it.

I probably won't be in this city for more than 2 years, then I can move wherever I want. In the meantime, I'm going to give JKD and BJJ an earnest try - these arts have a much different spirit, and a huge array of techniques, ranges, and strategies that are unfamiliar to me. I get to be a beginner again. And, there is nothing half-assed about this school, its instructors, or students.

I think I have to just let go of Aikido. If a worthwhile situation presents itself later, so be it - if not, so be it.