View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #194
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Demonstrating aiki, demontrating aikido.Same thing ?

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
As an issue of ordering... I think we are starting to get into some transmission comments and away from the demonstration comments...
In fairness, the whole IHTBF argument is from a position that transmission requires demonstration -- so I don't think they are really different discussions,... I think there is definite and valid point to that position -- I just don't think it is an all-consuming one... Mainly because I think that people also feel things that they do not understand, and things can happen to them that they are ill-equipped to "feel" in the conscious cause and effect sense.

It is in these areas -- areas in which aiki operates --that some objective applied physiology is -- IMO -- a non-negotiable. And the old systems agree with that approach. They approved of seeking this kind of knowledge. It is just that in most of areas of physiology and mechanics (not without some functionally significant exceptions -- acupuncture, perhaps) we have far outstripped any traditional knowledge of the body and its exploitable strengths and weaknesses. How can we not use that?

Quote:
At some point, we evaluate our training. Am I better than I was last year? 5 years ago? 10 years ago?
Indisputably important.
Quote:
Comparatively, we can evaluate our progress against our sister dojos?
there's the rub. Compare what, exactly? And on what measures, qualitatively ?

Quote:
"And in current rankings on the "IT" scale -- in the combined teams division:

-- Laughing Buddha dojo fell short of first place by a narrow margin to the incumbent champion Spastic Cranes -- the Buddhas losing 3 IHTBF's to the Cranes' dominant 5 IHTBF's

... and this despite prevailing in the preliminaries with a stunning 6 Intents upset to the Spastic Cranes uncharacteristically poor 3 Intents flop.

...And now in the acupuncture final -- still in progress -- Over to you, Bob ..."

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.