View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #49
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines
Re: man hesitant to train with woman???

Quote:
Diane Stevenson wrote: View Post
Szczepan, I appreciate that you are trying to be honest, and I realize that perhaps you train for reasons other than martial application. However, there are many women like myself who do train with martial intent. I don't expect that an assaliant would treat me gently because I am a woman. Any training partner who would use less than a serious attack, and yes I mean using his weight/height/strength to his advantage, is doing me a serious disservice.

If my dojo-mates care about me, they will do their best to help me learn to overcome someone bigger and stronger, not hold back and teach me false self-confidence.
For me, it depends on the partner's level of skill and confidence. If I'm training with my former sensei who is a 5th dan, then I can attack without worrying about her safety (Hell, I'd be afraid for my own safety).

But if I'm training with a female 6th kyu who's only been on the mat a couple of times and is still afraid of ukemi and/or atemi, then of course I will have to adjust accordingly - NOT because she's female and "fragile" but because she's still a beginner. Most beginners I treat fairly gently regardless of gender. It's really a matter of degrees.