View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Jukka O. Lampila - Empty Force

Quote:
Alfonso Adriasola wrote: View Post
so , huge caveat , that this is IMO, but.

Internal strength in the martial arts does not require supernatural powers, does not enable teleportation , telekinesis , lighting stuff on fire , flying...

Its the ability to use weight / ground reaction without beign obvious. Whole body (non isolated) movement that can be hard to spot , motivated by the core of your body, which transfers leg and trunk power to the extremities. It has to do with balance and body integrity, it requires a lot of work to achieve enough conditioning to be able to manifest *you wont get it by having someone whisper the secret to you* . Internal strength can be used to manipulate inanimate objects; it doesn't require collusion with anything , you can punch a wall with internal strength and hurt yourself if you want to. A lot of asian martial arts refer to elements of internal strength, but the spectrum of ability is pretty wide, and the methods for cultivation are likewise pretty diverse. There are a bunch of typical demonstrations (bending spear in the throat, lying between bricks and having someone smash them on you, etc ) that are legitimate (if impractical).. and so on.

I think you can peel all the cultural trappings off IS and still end up with unsual body skills, so legitimate doesnt mean member of a group or believer in some religion or anything like that.

Anyone else care to chip in?
Hi Alfonzo,
When my missus orders me to do the housework , mow the lawn and do the dishes, is she using I.S when she moves an inanimate object [namely me ]?Cheers, Joe.