View Single Post
Old 09-15-2001, 06:17 PM   #24
Levonicus
Dojo: Mizu Nagare
I can't pretend I understand what it must feel like for people affected closely by this tragedy, I have been following it for days now, and still the raw reality is only begining to reach me. We live in a global world, and a global community. The interconectedness of all life seems now as undeniable as the interconectedness of modern human society. This event is profound evendence that what happens to one happens to all. We are all affected.

I've contemplated a great deal over the past few days, and I've had a few thoughts I felt like sharing if anyone here cares to listen.

Our emotional lives exist in harmony with our physical lives. Just as the destruction of an object releases unbelieveable physical energy, similar emotional energy is also released. The magnatude of energy that is moving around and from this event is almost inconcievable, and one can hardly imagine that any person caught in the middle could survive it.

In Aikido we learn to redirect energy, be it physical, or emotional. This is what makes Aikido both a martial and spiritual path.

To train in martial arts is to study conflict. Aikido is managing conflict and using it as a positive force. Just as we extend ki to move normaly antagonistic muscle groups in harmony, we also extend ki to make normaly antagonistic interpersonal relationships harmonious. The concept of relationships may seem more abstract than that of muscles, and countries and societies may seem more abstract than both, but I believe all do exist and are as real as anything else. So it makes sense to believe that Aikido can be applied to international conflicts aswell, because conflict is conflict.

I'd like to know what all of you think, specifically about what people and our countries leaders can do to deal with this situation in a constructive way. For instance, this event has already united so much of the world to a degree I've never seen before. There's a lot of power in that, what will we do with it?

I don't know what will happen next, but whatever does happen, I will contine my training and continue to strugle for a better world. As long as there are those among us striving to make good of this situation, there is hope.