View Single Post
Old 04-25-2002, 09:55 PM   #4
guest1234
If you check the Aikido vocabulary section in the language section to the left above, it has a definition of 'Bu' as martial, literally translated as 'to stop a halbred' , I've also hear 'to stop a spear'. Jitsu has been defined elsewhere on this forum, I think someone likened it to a system of fighting techniques as opposed to a 'do' or 'way' but I am probably mangling this. Anyway, I think roughly it would be a martial fighting style, or something like that in translation. It may be your sensei's own version of a style more would be familiar with...one of the things about being independant is you can teach what you want, how you want, and call it whatever pleases you...and this may be along the lines of what he's done.

Ninji may be ninja, you can try looking that up. Aikido, as most of us on this forum define, would probably not be traced to ninja, but is seen as a unique modern martial art developed between the world wars and after WWII by O Sensei.

I'm thinking that perhaps your sensei is teaching something related to Aikido, or a synthesis of his own from different arts including Aikido, but not necessarily what we'd call Aikido. Now mind you, I am a beginner as well, but the ninja reference makes me think it is not exactly what the rest of us are studying.