View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan
Re: Aikido internal and slow?

Quote:
Sebastian Brukalo wrote:
The other day I was trying to get one of my friends to visit the dojo I practice at and possibly join it if he likes it. Apparently he consulted some of his "Asian friends" - that's the term he used, and came back with the following response:

"[]..... Its [aikido] a very slow art and takes a looong time to learn and is more "internal" from what they tell me."

Since I am myself a beginning student, it was very hard for me to comment on it.

Please do.
I find it interesting that everyone is immediately assuming this is negative.

"Aikido is very slow art and takes a long time to learn..."

Are you arguing with this? Yeah Aikido takes a relatively long time to learn. Look for threads about the "20 year technique"... It might be exaggerated in this point but it's still does take awhile to learn and get "right"

"is more "internal" from what they tell me" ...

Huh? What does this mean? Do we actually know? It sounds philosophical to me. Are you arguing that aikido is not a philosophical art? Again do a search... Thread topics include The spirituality of aikido (over and over again) Aikido and religion (yawn done this one to!)... Sounds pretty internal to me!

I don't see these as either negative nor necessarily wrong. The only problem it produces is misunderstanding. "I don't want an internal art I want to be able to defend myself."...

Just a thought.

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about