View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #48
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: different ways of applying kotegaeshi

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
Granted, that's the basic kote gaeshi, and no arguments there. I have no disagreement with you at the level of basics. What I am saying is that at the higher levels, it seems that kote is about using a grasp on the wrist to control the elbow and through the elbow the uke's center. The actual physical details of the grip become pretty flexible at this point, as long as that center to center connection is maintained.

For instance, its possible to do a kote variation even if the partner has made a fist and has stiffened his arm, as long as that connection is there. You keep a light but steady grip, cut down along the center line toward the elbow and step back. Uke has no choice but to follow because your center will bring his center along. I use this variation sometimes on juniors who get it into their heads to resist.

And the point my teacher likes to make is not to get fixated on the grip, because you tense up, your center will rise, and openings will be created. The same holds true for sankyo, nikyo, etc. Look for the center to center connection and other things fall into place.
Hi Raul,

Agree absolutely.

Cheers

David Y