Thread: Hand Position
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Bryan
United_States
Re: Hand Position

I train in other systems besides Aikido, such as Chon-Tu Kwon Hapkid (Pellegrini's System). The guard position for this Hapkido style is open hands up in front of the face with elbows down and close to the body. The hands posture in a submissive position, as if to appear that you do not want to be hit...more or less giving the body language of "back off buddy, I don't want any trouble"

The idea is that you may be able to avoid a confrontation if you appear less interested in fighting. If violence is inevitable, the posture also gives you the passive appearance to any witnesses that are present.

In the US, litigation is not an unlikely potential outcome of a violent confrontation. It is not unheard of for an attacker to sue his victim when losing a fight badly. This posture is just one measure that can be taken unconsciencly and without sacrificing your ability to defend yourself while also protecting yourself from lawsuits claiming that you invited the confrontation.

When I train Aikido, I use the Aikido posture shown to me by my Sensei....at least until I have enough training and understanding to begin personalizing my Aikido.

Thanks for reading

-bryan