View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #121
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Re: Why do you perceive "internal" superior to athleticism?

Quote:
Jon Haas wrote: View Post
Usually I just skim these threads, shake my head, and go back to training, but on this one I hope I might have a beneficial perspective to offer.

Much of my study over the past 10 years has revolved around how to utilize exercise and conditioning to create the best budo-body. I studied sports science, Russian kettlebells, Russian Systema and ROSS, was a CST instructor under Scott Sonnon (circular strength training system) from 2004 to 2006, and also wrote a book on Warrior Fitness - conditioning for martial arts. I hope this establishes my knowledge base and belief in western exercise science and physical training. Also, to round out my background, I have been training in martial arts for almost 30 years, 22 of them in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

In 2008 while reading E-Budo, I discovered a thread by a guy named Dan Harden talking about conditioning a "budo-body" in a way I had never heard of before. When Dan announced his teacher seminar back in August of 2009, I jumped at the chance. I'm not going to re-review the seminar here, but suffice it to say I came away with concrete exercises, examples, and principles on which to work and put into my own personal practice. At the time, I had asked Dan about combining the solo exercises he taught with my regimen of kettlebells and other western conditioning methods. Here's his reply from the 2009 thread:

Needless to say I followed his advice and gave up all other exercise and just concentrated on the solo work. The result after 6 months or so? People asking me - why are you so difficult to throw?

Now, here's the comparison part. Around April last year I had the bright idea to start lifting kettlebells, clubbells, sandbags, and doing all sorts of high intensity conditioning workouts. The results? After several months, I looked great, was very healthy and conditioned and physically strong, but here's the rub - I FELT just like everyone else. Training partners that had been having trouble throwing me and locking me were able to do so again much easier than before. So, my little mind got to thinking - what is my goal here? Do I want to be strong and conditioned as an athlete OR strong and conditioned as a budoka? I chose Budoka and quit lifting and once again began doing the solo work that Dan teaches. I now train this stuff for at least an hour every day and will not look back. To me, the difference is clear.

One last point. Internal is not superior to athleticism, it's a different methodology of training for a different result. As I said above, you need to decide your goal. It's not for everyone

Hope that ramble helps....

Jon
This is an interesting topic to me because it seems like 'athleticism' and having a 'budo body' are mutually exclusive. I am personally interested in having the 'conditioning' of an 'athlete', but for the purposes of running, walking long distances, carrying heavy loads, climbing, swimming. Things a soldier is required to do. But at the same time, I want to maintain a budo body..it's the only kind of body that can stand a chance against bigger people (I'm only 5'3). For this reason, I've dedicated the past 4-5 years to re-wiring my body to prepare it for 'aiki' skill, dragon back, etc..

Some people have suggested to me that I try crossfit--but I didn't like what it did to my body. So far, I've only experimented with jogging/bodyskill stuff. Nothing groundbreaking so far.

You got any advice for a boy that wants to maintain the conventional 'athletic' body and the budo body, John?

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.