View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #27
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Help buying Katana

The phrase I like to use is: "All the gear and no idea"

It happens oh so often that someone takes up a new hobby and spends large sums of money on equipment:

Takes up mountain biking spends £500 (about 1000 USD for those who don't know the current exchange rate) on a new bike. Quits biking a few months later, it's 'boring'. Sells bike on E-Bay.

Takes up hiking and spends £250 on boots and clothing etc. Decides hiking is not for them after a few months, it's 'not for me and none of my friends want to come hiking'. Can't sell stuff on E-Bay so gives it to a friend.

Takes up Kendo, buys £500 bogu and swords, quits kendo after 6 months because 'it's a sport not a martial art, I want the real deal'.

Takes up iaido, spends £750 on a half decent shinken (knows a bit about swords after doing kendo), quits iaido after maybe 9 months due to 'knee trouble'.

Takes up shooting, buys rifle, has accident involving safety catch and loses a few toes. Quits shooting as it's 'too dangerous'.

It might appear that the above person is flighty or never finishes something they start doing. But. In fact they do have one dedicated and sincere hobby which they are very good at: Shopping for expensive and exotic sports equipment....

"All the gear and no idea" has stopped me buying a Fender telecaster on a number of occasions

Regards

Mike Haft

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr