View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: True Warfare

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
It's not as clearly cut as that to you but it is to me.

This isn't about who coined the word Aikido.

Saito? What does most closely resembles mean? From what perspective? In what context? What was the subject under discussion when he mentioned such and what point was he trying to make and to whom?

Kisshomaru? Cited when seen fit and yet put down when seen fit also.

Now your strategy and budo sayings? No I don't know. Obviously you feel they have some significant value. Feel free to enlighten me. Maybe that's what you are connecting to the o/p.

Regards.G.
Well, you were the one who brought up the naming and called is significant, not me.

I cited Saito because he probably spent the most actual time one on one with Ueshiba after the war. He said it and Stan Pranin has shown it quite clearly - the post-war changes in Aikido came mostly from Kisshomaru and Tohei.

I didn't put Kisshomaru down at any point, I liked him quite a bit and enjoyed training with him.

The point of the quote is that it is from the 1400's - from the founder of the oldest traditional martial arts school in Japan. Ueshiba's ideas weren't new and unique, and the "old ways and meanings of budo" weren't necessarily blood guts and destruction. You've latched on to a modern representation that was pushed by many of the postwar teachers - Kisshomaru and Tohei among them, but that viewpoint is spun quite heavily, and is not supported by the historical record.

Best,

Chris