View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
Brian Beach
United_States
Re: Can somebody who's never thrown a person, claim they can - and do - throw people?

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Does it make sense - if you want to actually gain the ability to throw somebody - to start your martial arts training with aikido?
Regardless of whether your aikido is good enough, and you could actually throw somebody in a live situation (i.e., not one ever encountered in an aikido class; one where the other person knows what you want to do, and does all they can to nullify your attempts), can you ever claim that a throw you do in aikido class is genuinely effective?
Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
I remember, a few weeks after I started training BJJ (after three years of aikido): I was doing standing randori with a guy, and he was really using all his weight, and strength, to try and wrestle me to the ground; I then realised there was a way I could throw him, and I did: I threw a man, who was a live opponent, and I did it by using technique.
There is no doubt that the throw works, and that I can throw someone who is hell-bent on not being thrown.
Maybe I'm missing something but aren't YOU an example of someone that learned to "throw" someone by learning in a cooperative manner and then was able to pull it off in an competitive environment?

I do think that getting into that environment (competitive) does give you the confidence or eye opener that some need ( I did, thanks Judo).