View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002, 03:39 AM   #5
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
As I said this is a free democratic world and anyone can call his MA aikido or any other name. However, same as no body contests the creation of judo to Pr. Jigoro Kano eventhough it is clear that it was derived from jujitsu, no one denies that aikido originally came from daitoryu aikijujitsu, but it was transformed by Osensei and renamed aikibudo and then aikido.

There are some other styles originating in aikijujitsu who capitalize on the international success of aikido and usurpe the name.
Bryan's absolutely correct. The name "Aikido" was a generic name proposed in the Butokukai intended to cover a number of arts. Check out the guy who engineered all that at http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...?ArticleID=738

It may be that nobody you know denies that M. Ueshiba has the absolute right to the name Aikido, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. I've seen a number of items that suggest that Shodo Morita, at least, was using that name prior to 1942, which would give him prior use. Other arts use the name as well in various capacities. M. Ueshiba's school is certainly the most common user of the name, but that's pretty much as far as it goes, as much as I can tell.

Best,

Chris