View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Difficult uke or bad technique?

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That's a good generalization, but we're talking about a specific case here. Speaking to the particulars of this case, I think that it really isn't for a student of your own rank, who is supposed to be acting as your uke, to make the decision that it's time for you to self-develop and learn to be willing and able to adjust and change technique. Your fellow student, your peer, is not the one to make decisions about your training -- even with the best of intentions, which is often not the case. Let's not kid ourselves, there are a lot of people who use the guise of "helping" as a fig leaf for ego-gratifying displays of their own superiority.
And my first post suggested that the student enlist the assistance of their teacher in order to determine if they needed to correct themselves or if the uke needed correcting. At that level a fellow student may simply not understand their role as uke because as I noted in my first post the role of uke is not given enough attention in aikido classes which tend to be a lot more focused on nage's role and how to do technique. It is not the students fault if their teacher has not instructed them thoroughly on just what their job as uke is and so they give bad ukemi.

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I agree with, Mary M. If this was happening in my class. I would stop it and use it as a teaching oppurtunity as many times as it presented.

Many students come in with their own ideas. Which is wonderful if they want to teach them at their own dojo.

When you come to our dojo...we train in a certain way and we spend a lot time teaching how to uke and nage because we have ideas about how to train. So if a person shows up to train at our dojo we want them to try hard to do what we are teaching. A third kyu might not understand enough about the idea of what is being taught to teach it themselves.
Again this is why I first suggested enlisting the instructor's assistance.

Quote:
Ewen Ebsworth wrote: View Post
It depends what kind of Jujutsu you're refering to? I've never been taught to force any technique. If a technique doesn't work, you change, you adapt or if its kata you work out where you went wrong, you don't try and compensate with strength or brute force. Jujutsu techniques when performed correctly, even against resistance, should require no strength.
If you ready my post in context as to whom I was answering and what we were discussing in the post of mine that you quoted, you would see that we agree.