View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #46
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Poll: Would you consider aikido without a physical practice component to still be

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
So would you say that ANY practice which strives to meet those goals should be considered Aikido?
Basically speaking, yes, although I'm sure that someone will come up with exceptions and caveats.

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Edit: Unless I'm mistaken, this text still has not been translated into English. If this is indeed the clear and rational explanation for what we've all been studying, why is it still largely unavailable to English speaking practitioners? Why wasn't this THE priority for the Aikikai and other groups. Please note, I'm not saying it isn't as central and important as you insist, but since I have no access to it, I'm at a loss to comment on it in a meaningful way. If I'm mistaken and it has been translated, point me the way, and I'll gladly order and read it.
Because it's so difficult to read, even in Japanese? Or maybe the copyright is still owned by the Byakko Shinko-kai. Or maybe it's the fact that good translation costs a bundle and there's a somewhat limited market for this kind of work.

I don't know but it's really the only text in which the founder speaks at length, in his own words, on the goals and purposes of Aikido, so I would consider it fairly important for anyone studying the "Japanese Martial art based on the teachings of Morihei Ueshiba". FWIW, there is another collection of essays by Morihei Ueshiba published in "Aikido Shinzui" (this one by the Aikikai), but that one hasn't been translated either. How many years was it before the Gospels or the Tripitika were translated into common languages?

Best,

Chris