View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #59
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
Re: Christian Tissier: Ukemi

Since this thread started out discussing the quality of Tissier's ukes, I don't feel a discussion on what is expected of a good uke is too far off topic.

A good example is the meaning of "falling normally" if the technique has no momentum or power. In my default way of training, if a technique has no power or momentum I just stand there. What does it mean to "fall normally" if there is nothing making you fall in the first place. And I'm not even yet getting into adding any resistance against the technique or counterattacking.

The truth is there is no one way to attack in aikido and that what is expected from you can change from one dojo to the next. On top of that, even in a given dojo, the intensity and freeness of an attack will vary depending on the level of the uke, the level of the nage, whether it is a completely prearranged form or some level of jyu waza.

So in a seminar, when an instructor is surrounded by people who have never or rarely trained with him, it can be nice to know what is expected at a given time. When I am told to stand solid, I stand solid. Even as he throws me I continue to stand solid. If there is no power or unbalancing in the technique, I don't fall. If he's Tissier, I fall but my joint's get pulled a bit. With some instructors, my joint's don't get pulled but I learn to fly for short distances.

Jonathan Olson