View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #165
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Is it still Aikido if you take away the Japanese clothes, etiquette and other things?

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
You know that you don't know which translations are more accurate, right? And so your point is, that you pick the translations that most accurately reflect your own biases. It is hard to argue with that if you are upfront about it.
Ultimately, your choice to inherit information and internalize it makes the accuracy of the information irrelevant. This is the foundation of belief. In this sense, it would not matter which translation is more accurate, only which one I choose to believe. Regardless that the facts point to Nolan Ryan as the greatest pitcher in baseball, I believe the interpretation of facts to be that Nolan Ryan is the greatest pitcher in baseball.

To go down the slippery slope... if you choose to empirically clasify a translation as more correct than another... would that affect your decision to internalize the information? I would say no if that translation conflicted with your ideological belief structure. You are going to turn a blind eye to that which rocks your ideological world... even if it means you are "less" accurate.

Jon Reading