View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 AM   #44
Keith R Lee
United_States
Re: yet another annoying cross training q

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
*sigh*
re read my post. I'm not saying winning fights is all martial arts is about. I would however contend that functional fighting skills must be at least a part of it. Beyond that it's a bit silly to say what martial arts are or are not about, or complain that some people don't understand what they're about. Because it's entirely subjective. Personally I don't train to protect myself physically - that's a skill I seem less and less likely to need as I get older. But I do beleive all the other benefits I get from an art, I get in large part because it is effectively martial.
If someone wants to train because it makes them happy and some sort of a better person and knowing how to fight isn't important, all well and good, but who are they to say their motivations should be everyone elses.
In this particular case, what I'm saying is that when you choose Aikido as your art of choice, you give up a shorter time to physical proficinecy. And the reason you do that is because of some of the other benefits you get that are beyond winning a fight. People that do Aikido obviously think this is a fair trade.
But we also need to understand why people like Phillip would say that Aikido waza is less important to the make up of a fighter than some of the other skills he mentioned. Because he's quite right.
In other words there's a trade off that is happening and it's not a bad thing if it's happening conciously.
Agreed. 100%

Again, people who train in Aikido and only Aikido tend to have a rather insular viewpoint about this topic. Cross-training isn't a bad thing, it's really only going to open someone up to new possibilities.

Keith Lee