View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: How do I attempt to change that?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Sometimes I think we'd like to think we'd like to train more, that somehow if we train twice has much that we'd get to the endstate twice as fast, or be twice as good! In reality though, we deep down know that there is more to this than that, but we don't really want to explore the answer for fear of what we may discover! Really I think it is a fear of the unknown, or we might find out it wasn't what we thought!
Fear of the unknown is right on the money!

One aikido teacher that I know once said that if people trained often enough, they inevitably changed, because the energy in the dojo took them with it...(knowing this particular teacher's teaching style I can believe it) and people who didn't want to change "regulated" this by training just often enough -but not too often- to not have the necessity to change.

I think it's also possible, perhaps, to keep going on at a comfortable pace of, say, three-four classes a week where there is progress but the whole process isn't too intense. That's not enough for me anymore, at least right now.

Two things that have helped me this week (for the poster who asked): The thought that changing habits and routines is going to be uncomfortable, and that feeling uncomfortable shouldn't make me shy away from changing my habits.

And the thought that if I want to push myself and challenge myself I can't expect to enjoy every minute of it.

Something else I've just realized is that in order to train more, I need to not only count the extra training hours, but also extra recovery hours, doing other stuff that will keep me healthy enough to train more! Otherwise I'm not going to be able to keep it up!

On to week 2 of Pauliina's new and improved training regime....

kvaak
Pauliina