View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 11:41 AM   #20
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Quote:
There's simply more potential for injury to occurr, or I should say less time spent worrying about the other guy Again, I don't mean that they'll hurt their training partner, but certainly the real application of this technique shows prettymuch no concern for the person receiving the technique.
Well, while I think I understand where you are coming from, I believe that by being as controling as possible, I show true concern for my opponant. If I separate his shoulder, but do so because I won't then have to throw him on his head, isn't that still a high level of concern? Just as high as anybody else's? I place myself in a position of control (if possible) so that I don't have to maim or kill...and I'm still safe, and able to do so if needed. And in practise, we have ukemi, so uke *could* just take the fall, and not resist along the way, reducing any discomfort they might feel. Isn't that one reason we have a "cooperative" practise?

Quote:
How about it guys, do you train that in Yoshinkan?
Yep, that's what we do. Not a coincidence. Its standard for shihonage pin, and some others.

Ron Tisdale

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 06-04-2003 at 11:43 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)