View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey
Re: Poll: How important a goal do you feel is the "aikido" notion of defending yourself while minimizing or negating damage done to your attacker?

[quote=Ian Hurst] Even when a fight has begun, there will normally be stages where you can either disconnect or choose not to do as much damage as you can.

yes you are right, but is it then the attackers choice? I have someone on the floor with nikkyo pin. Should I ask; I will leave you if you promise not to attack anymore or I will have to break your arm? How can we be sure that we will be safe? or if they are two people, you have someone with sankyo and he is your guard against the other. Would you go further, break the arm if the second guy continues to attack? It is a very difficult question and could only be answerd if that happens. The point is; choose not to do as much as damage as you can. I agree

When I wrote my opinion, I thought only about some techniques (which would be mostly used in real attacks, I think). If you pin your opponent, it is ok, you have time to think and choose, but on iriminage, kotegashi, koshinage, kaiten nage, the techniques where the attacker falls on the ground or the beginning of shihonage with atemi, would harm him seriously. How could we minimize the damage on "fast applied techniques, with falling end"?