View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #52
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: What Aikido waza are you practicing for bad guys?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
In Japan, they have a superstition that if you think of a monkey when you take medicine, the medicine will not work. Of course, that makes it impossible not to think of a monkey as soon as you come down with something. You definitely can't use thoughts to get rid of thinking.
This demonstrates that you already understand the rationale behind the meditation I was speaking about at the beginning of this thread. I was trying to point out that in my experience "doing stuff" is another thing you cannot use to get rid of thinking (which you cannot do anyway, but whatever).

I wish to suggest again, as humbly as possible, that trying to be present, any kind of self talk, and concentrating on your breath all consist of using thoughts and doing stuff. You MAY, like me, find those methods inadequate to the task of dropping you into the present and making your thoughts pass by like fluffy clouds.

I was suggesting the old and musty strategy of "doing nothing" instead. It is attractive and unique in that it is wholly the opposite of "doing something", and you might find that sitting down and doing nothing is kickass.

Now I know what you are thinking: You once overheard an abbot saying something contradictory to this. Doing nothing sounds like it won't produce the results you demand. Doing nothing won't let you do the things you were already going to do and also let you claim that you meditated today. That Ben guy is aggressive and demonstrates a lack of psychological development consistent with people who meditate wrong.

All that stuff is doubtless true, so try it at your own risk. Since taking on the nonpractice I find that I go nowhere, get nothing done, and can expect no results. Now that is my cup of tea, and I wanted to share it with anyone who is interested.

Last edited by bkedelen : 10-04-2013 at 05:02 PM.