View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Aikido and Traffic

I think a relaxed mind that doesn't get angry at other drivers but instead focuses on the real objective of getting somewhere is extremely beneficial (I think anger and attempts at retribution often result in accidents).

Once a van pulled out about 5 yards in front of me at a junction whilst I was going around 40 mph. There was also an oncoming car but I managed to swerve gently between the front bumper of the van and the uncoming car with only a couple of feet to spare. If I had attempted to stop or slow down I would have still hit the van. It seemed so natural and easy at the time, but about 5 minutes later I was sweating profusely as I realised I'd narrowly avoided quite a major accident (not sure what the other drivers must have felt!).

I think aikido is about doing the right thing at the right time - and this can only be achieved through not having excessive attatchment to one course of action, but by adapting.

P.S. I do believe there is a cultural/local bias which affects our driving behaviour (though Germany doesn't really come to mind when I think of this)!

Last edited by ian : 04-11-2006 at 04:54 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---