View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Response to "Loyalty, an Aiki perspective

Quote:
Brett Charvat wrote: View Post
As much as I love the quote above and appreciate its relevance to the topic at hand, it may be important to keep in mind that it comes from a speech given by a character that most Shakespearean scholars agree was supposed to be seen as something of a befuddled old idiot. Polonius isn't supposed to make the audience believe in themselves here, he's supposed to make them laugh at what an old sot he is. Just saying.
I think that adds to it in a nice way though, with a beautiful touch of irony. Besides isn't one of the classic views of the Fool that he has a special role with the truth? ...Or something like that? I particularly like that concept because it means one has to really be paying attention in order to pick the wisdom from the tripe...and somehow that seems very fitting to the game of life.

Ok so I decided to do some research and here's another wikipedia quote I may regret using:
Quote:
Shakespearean fools are usually clever peasants or commoners that use their wits to outdo people of higher social standing. In this sense, they are very similar to the real fools, clowns, and jesters of the time, but their characteristics are greatly heightened for theatrical effect.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-27-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Gambarimashyo!