View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #37
DH
United_States
Re: Progression of Hip/Lower torso movement

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Have a bad day today Dan? Mike hasn't been involved in this discussion, so you can put your internet claws away. We were having a civil discussion here, not an arguement. Nobody was challenging anyone or telling them they don't get it or are wrong. If you don't want to further discuss the ideas that YOU brought into the thread, then just say so. You're not going to hurt anyones feelings... Just don't go hiding your unwillingness to do so behind this whole "who's going to debate me" schtick. That tone didn't exist in the thread before you brought it with you.
Well, that was an interesting way to aproach this.
The ideas, when offered, pretty much run contrary to the norm of most ideas of movement in budo. It has been pretty much proved that since the dawning of the internet that this has led to debate. Sometimes heated debate, from those who do not understand the tenets of this work. Oddly, that never happens in person.
Which led to this....
Quote:
What is the real point in debating physical understanding with people who (while they can't do anything meaningful in person), love to debate things they are completely incapable of, then get upset when you told them the truth all along. It's always been that way in budo, right. So you have some competent people debating people who are nothing more than good writers, with a new venue...the internet.
I know a better way. Meet, compare and be nice to each other. Debate it, while you're trying to remain vertical in front of me. Then we will both know just who actually knew what they were talking about all along and no one is upset. Then, like before, we will laugh, have fun to boot and talk about how much we both still suck!
Seems a better way to "debate" physical movement is in person.
Can you point to number of threads where this type of material has been debated from discussions between those with an internal approach to movement with those from the external arts, where everyone walks away agreeing?

I think my points were both salient and clear; debating it has not been successful on the net. Awareness of it through hands on work is the best vehicle, and curiously it ends debates and it makes friends.

Quote:
Debate, especially the way you use it, has an unsavory tone to it. They could definitely discuss it, Dan...
Hmmm....That was in reference to me talking about real experts showing up to debate your average external guy on the internet and why it would not be productive without prior vetting. And also why I said it was a waste to debate/ argue rather than just state things. You cannot argue this on its merits. The experts would not....waste much time discussing it before they walked away.

Anyway, you don't have my experiences nor have you experienced the debate/ the fall out / and the best methods for true progress in ending them and making friends...from my end.
Anyway, with the current discussion/debate, I'll leave you to your own devices. Sorry for butting in.
Dan