View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #135
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: What paths lead to internal power??

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
This is not an honest approach to me, or a serious attempt at a discussion. It never is with you. You obviously are not this one dimmensional in your own life with this nonsense, so I am not going to reduce myself to this artificial exchange of all about winning and losing,
More off-topic personality-focused diversions.
Quote:

I am discussing a complete picture. one which is written about in both Chinese and Japanese circles.
That's a vague sentence. If you're trying to justify why you keep going off into "I can fight, too" stuff, as a part of internal strength, let me remind you that internal-strength is also a part of many non-martial qigongs, so the idea that you're supported by Japan and China simply fails. I say first learn internal strength and then develop what you want with it; you seem to always harp that good fighting is part of internal strength. Not true. For instance, I don't flinch at all and start denigrating Koichi Tohei when he indicates fighting and martial-arts doesn't have a lot to do with his school because I recognize that that's a valid perspective among some Asians. Constantly denigrating others only says something about the person doing the talking.
Quote:
Of course you can continue to separate and attempt to re-define, then reduce a field you have no part in.
Dan, I get a little tired of you posting your comments about what you think I do and can do. Why not just stop? Stick to technical details. Last I heard, not everyone is as enamored of you as might be thought by reading your own posts, but I simply ignore people when they go off on tangents about you, too. Let's just give the personal stuff a rest, shall we?
Quote:
[i]"The first step they use is to try to intellectually reduce the efforts of others, to try and gain what they have without expending the same effort....." .
I agree with that. As long as the person doing the "borrowing" isn't claiming all he knows is from his own brilliance or that he's been doing all of it "for many years". If you remember, I pointed out that I've seen this same game played for decades; it's fairly common.
Quote:
We're all just amatuers with different goals. The legends pursued both, it is what the modern experts in the making shoot for too, Mike.
Dan
So far I haven't met any self-made modern experts who can move with the dantien and who aren't shoulder-reliant. That's the core of what I've been trying to say: before people start distracting conversations about winning fights, I'd be satisfied with just watching them move without being shoulder/arm dependent. If they're great fighters with some rudimentary jin skills but a lot of shoulder and non-hara movement, my question is about why that sort of movement is being called internal strength. Same point I made with the car-wrecks story.

Think about it......why, if someone's internal-strength is so good, do they still use their shoulders and not their hara's? Ever see a Chinese or Japanese martial art that didn't stress the fact that the hara should be used?

FWIW

Mike Sigman