View Single Post
Old 07-26-2003, 09:13 AM   #27
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
In The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche talks about the importance of a master and transmission. But there are also people who came to great spiritual understanding on their own, because they did not have the benifit of a spiritual teacher. Although, of course, such a path may be less reliable because you do not have the help of an accomplished person to point the way.

Some teachers will tell you to read "this or that book"--not as a replacement for their own teaching, of course, but because they may recognize that it will help you. Sogyal Rinpoche (sorry, he's really all I am experienced with, so he's all the examples I can give), after my first retreat with him, told his students to read certain chapters of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. He also said at another time that he would like his students to read The Words of My Perfect Teacher seven times. Although he uses the pith instruction method of teaching, study is still counted as important, although with the guidance of a teacher.

I do not have the benifit of a one-on-one relationship with my spiritual master. Unless I go on retreat and see him in person among hundreds of other people, I will only see him on a television screen, giving teachings. This can be looked upon as impersonal, yet it does not feel so. From the moment I first saw one of his teachings, I felt that what he was saying aloud was what I had believed all my life. When I'm inspired, when I let go of my uncertainty as to whether I will stay with this lineage or not, it doesn't feel impersonal at all.

I'm not aruguing with you, just pointing out another view, from someone who does not have the benifit of having a one-on-one relationship with his teacher, yet does not feel any less fortunate.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith