View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #47
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Why do you perceive "internal" superior to athleticism?

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
First I would like to say, the only way to move the body is by using intent to move the ki. ... Our brain decides it wants to move (intent) sends a signal to the muscles (ki) and we start moving. This is normal, it does not take special training....
By no means correct. When the brain sends a signal to the muscles, it uses nerves. That is not ki. Ki does not travel through the nerves and nerve impulses cannot travel through the meridians of ki. So your first idea is in error because you still confuse 'mind' with 'ki,' as if you can't tell that your finger and your fingernail are different.

Ask any pro athlete how he directs his ki with his mind and he will look at you like you're insane. While it is true that a certain amount of ki will be involved in any movement, it will not be fully intentional since even as you say this you can't distinguish 'mind' and 'ki' or nerve impulses and ki. What "naturally" involves ki is incidental, but it's like confusing your arm for your leg. You're trying to "kick" with your hand or write with your ankle.

Quote:
Second, it seems to me that everyone here is talking about faith, not anything factual.
Yet, you're claiming "I already do that."

So either you're doing what you decry or you just don't understand what we (and you) are talking about.

Several years ago, a friend gave me a copy of Peter Ralston's book, "The Principles of Internal Power" and I have tried to read it several times over those years but it never made a lick of sense. He seemed to be talking about shadows and clouds and nothing of any substance.

But since my ki Eureka, this book is incredibly clear and meaningful. Moreover, it follows exactly the things that Mike, Dan and Ark are saying. It's all there. And he is talking about something of no substance, but every bit of that is in the context of the body, the weight, the bones. The missing piece is ki and once I crossed the threshold and understood ki in myself, it all became clear and comprehensible. And that came about from listening to Mike, Dan and Ark and working with their tanren methods.

Quote:
If you look through the posts of the pro-IP people, you constantly see stuff like "so-and-so says, so it must be true", or "lot's of people do this stuff, so it must be something important". These are all statements of faith: I believe this person, so that must be so. It's not really an answer to the question.
Chris. What a distortion. People are not saying "So and so said such and such." We say "So and so did this thing. He hit me so hard, he shoved me so far with such little movement, no wind-up, no effort." We're saying "I did what he showed me and suddenly I can do this thing I could never do before."

What we say about what someone "said" is always in the context of what they did and the inescapable results they (and we) got.

Because you've never gotten those results and you still have no clear idea what we're talking about betrays one thing. Your failure to go and meet these people and verify what we say is quite another. How can you discuss something you've never experienced?

Quote:
Athletes are physically superior to those who don't practice athletics. I believe modern sport athletics encompass everything that internal training does, and then some.
You believe?....Gee...that sounds like...faith? Minus facts?

Quote:
I'm sure most of the replies to this will be along the line of, "nuh uh, your wrong", or "let me explain the theory of using (enter jargon here)". But let me save you the time. simply answer, what physical thing can an internal martial artist do better then a modern sport athlete?
Do you think any modern sport athlete could have thrown Tenryu down with one hand from a sitting position?

The problem is that you still haven't distinguished your own mind from your own ki. Modern athletics is excellent at distinguishing various parts of the body and their functions and isolating specific muscles and conditioning them to support the desired functions. But they still have not distinguished the difference between mind and ki. In order to direct ki with the mind, we must first distinguish the two, like an athletic trainer distinguishes one muscle from another. We have to develop them in different ways and use them according to their nature. And until that happens, any involvement of ki in movement will be incidental and any results from such action will be irreproducible because you won't understand how you did it.

Of course, if you had spent the last few years honestly thinking about what is being said instead of shutting it off with all your strength, you might have glimpsed some of this by now.

Regards.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 01-26-2011 at 08:18 AM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com