View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #364
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
I didn't even know that was in question.
If you have forgotten there was a question -- should you be so sure of the answer?

Quote:
---it is refering to internal power, internal skills, and the use of them to the degree that Osensei had developed and hopefully beyond. A good description of internal power was just quoted:
Your link was truncated and does not work. His question illustrates my point that those who are doing what you have moved into, discuss things in their own vague idiom (actually several) and thus do not articulate their points well at all. They are an echo chamber so they sound hollow -- whether they are or not.

The point of my effort is not to tear them down but to refine the articulation of these points. They are worthwhile, worthwhile enough they need a better level of discussion so it can be objectively examined by people unfamiliar with their idiomatic terms of discussion. That way the other people can decide their opinions for themselves on reason and fact, not loaded discussion dripping with innuendo and accusation paired with braggadocio and assurances of trust. (most definitively NOT you ).

Quote:
I thought the point of this thread was for the people who made it to acceptance, and we were going to argue the various other options in other threads. But, maybe I got it wrong.
In any discussion there is the following of the logic of the discussion, but also a questioning of assumptions on which the logic is based. In fact the whole topic is founded on questioning some assumptions on which the formulation of training is based -- which is a healthy thing. I accept there is a basis for some criticism of the way training is done in some places. But acknowledging symptoms does not equate with agreement on diagnosis, much less treatment. But it cuts both ways, and while the salutary criticism is good, people need to be willing to take as good as they give when it comes to questioning assumptions.
-
I am one of those guys. When somebody rebuts a point of observation or criticism I have made, without the tiresome resorting to reflexive ad hom. ( again, not from you ), I'll quit questioning. As things stand now, not so much.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.