Thread: Kaeshiwaza
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #25
SmilingNage
United_States
Re: Kaeshiwaza

Ukemi is one of the principles of kaeshiwaza. Ukemi in of itself is a kind of reversal. As you move your body in accordance with the power and direction of Nage's lead. Not clashing with but absorbing technique. Allowing you to transition to rolling and or high/break falls. Good ukemi will put you in a situation(s) were you can effectively attempt a reversal.

Kaeshiwaza comes to the front of your training when have a change in your mindset about technique. When you change from " this technique is being done to me." to " I am allowing this technique to happen." When technique is no longer "this is being done to me." to "I am part of this interaction." was the start of kaeshiwaza for me. It was part experience, repetition, building up a resilience/tolerance,physical resistance/ conditioning to pain.

No doubt experience, mat time repetition and some physical ability play their parts in contributing to reversals. For me, the best reversals are bred from allowing my ukemi to place me in a situation where a reversal can be pulled off without Nage feeling my intent and it being to late for them to do anything about it. At least thats what I personally strive for, take ukemi so well that it Nage becomes lost in their own technique and application that they no longer feel the "threat" of uke. Then reverse them, send them flying across the mat with the puzzled look on their face.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.