View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #35
MM
United_States
Re: "stance of heaven (and earth)" and IS

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
Really? So if he stands in front of me, feet apart (shoulder width) and I push him backwards he can withstand that force without stepping backwards, without losing posture? Seriously? SHOW ME!
Very few of us actually get over to Europe. However, recently, someone was over there and had several internal seminars. That person is scheduled to come back sometime next year. I would suggest going. In the mean time, maybe ask Janet Rosen about her post where she described pushing on someone and not getting anywhere.

Seriously.

Quote:
When they 'lean in' they can counter the force; oppose it. You would feel 'resistance' build up. When they deflect, they lose posture, do not control distance any longer.
There is no resistance. Reference Janet's recent post about pushing. Then Ellis's post about Terry Dobson pushing experience with Ueshiba. Then other's. If you push and push and then suddenly let go, Ueshiba would just stand there looking at you. He didn't push back or resist to try to neutralize the push. It is a hallmark of internal skills. No leaning in, no resistance.

Quote:
If all that works so well why does every single martial art place one foot in front of the other (boxing, kendo, fencing, karate, kyodo, kungfu, wrestling, mu tai, bagua). The only one I can think of that does not do so is sumo, at least when they start. But even then look carefully what happens on contact (bodies turned, arms put rotating force in opponent)

No sir, nice try, but no cookie. Perhaps I am just ignorant stubborn, whatever.
Many people equate internal skills with techniques. They are not the same. What you describe above is in reference to actual skills in certain martial arts. Learning those skills is separate from learning internal skills. Internal skills rewires the body to work differently and then you learn a martial art.

Quote:
Mind you, the exercises are valuable and have their merit, but no more than striking a boken a hundred times.
Not the same at all.