View Single Post
Old 12-21-2001, 11:30 AM   #10
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost Fox
I think this is one the techniques that O'Sensei modified so that it could be practiced compassionately and harmoniously. You have to remember that aikido went through many iterations before becoming the Art of Peace. Some of O'Senseis older students might be practicing an older, less modified form of shihonage.
I'm not sure about this but I'm also not sure I'm not sure about this.

I was taught that uke had to be prepared to breakfall every single time. It doesn't mean that you do it, but that you should be prepared and in position to do it. If you achieve this you will take a lot of the risk out of the practice. Strangely, while I've gotten older and don't really enjoy high-falling all practice like I used to, this fall is still one of the easiest and lightest for me to take. I've been beat to hell many more times from kote gaeshi.

Unfortunately, in some circles I'm a rarity. I think there are an awful lot of people these days who have never been taught how to take this fall. To me, this implies that this change is more a result of modern times and fear of risk/injury than anything O'Sensei did.

Quote:
If you analyze most techniques in aikido, with a little imagination and knowledge of body mechanics they can be tweaked into extremely dangerous.
Doesn't take much imagination at all.