Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #49
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: YouTube: 1984 NY Aikikai 20th anniv demo Chiba-sensei

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hello Phi,
Happy New Year!! The video you use herein is one whereby Chiba Sensei is teaching the kumi tachi movements showing the actions/reactions to each others moves.ie the responses to whay is taking place. The tempo shown here is much slower.Care is taken to emphasis the moves.Not too sure what you mean by your last two comments regarding Robert Savoca Sensei , Chiba Sensei's Uke.
Watched closely Robert's footwork, maybe I missed something but I diid not see any loss of power.In fact the vid was not about generating power , more about response, timing , maai and control of centre. Must watch again to check regarding flip of bokken by Mr Savoca.Cheers, Joe.
Hello Joe,
Happy New Year to you and yours! Regarding the video, the power bleeding is from Mr Savoca. a couple of times, as he made the cuts, his back leg swing around like a counter balance of sort. to me, the power came from the back leg, and if it swing like that, meant it bleed the power in the opposite direction of the cut. if it was an empty hand strike, the power generated from the back leg, and if it swing, then a loss of power.

the flipping of bokken came from Chiba sensei. after the deflection, he flipped Mr Savoca's bokken further away. from my point of view, which doesn't mean that much, is unnecessary. it created a two beat move: 1 - deflect and flip, 2 - come back to the center line for attack. now if you can deflect and come back into the center line for an attack, that would make a 1-beat move. we called this a spiral deflection. a 1-beat move almost always beats out a 2-beat move. plus, if someone flipped my bokken like that, i would use the momentum to cut upward toward the center line and take out the wrist or arm from underneath. Then again, it might be a required kata move.

then again, i might miss something there based on my inexperience with the subject.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org