View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Is there enough practice for 'real life' in Aikido?

Quote:
Edward Sudall wrote: View Post
I am for peace and self development aiki-budo; as pacifistic as possible. The aim I have is to unify myself with the universe: ki, to gain a higher sense of self awareness without hurting people, it is not the aim in Aikido to hurt but defend unlike, say Muay Thai where it is to fight (in only some elements admitidly).
Dear Edward,
Your aims for,motives and reasons for taking up Aikido are all very altruistic.Very commendable,but what do you do if and when you meet somebody who is not on your waveband and simply wants to mess you about?Are you going to read him some Aikido philosophy, tell him about unifying with the Universe or what, or you do not want to hurt him?This in my opinion is a misunderstanding of Aikido principles.This pacifist mode is the reason why people perceive Aikido as being airy/fairy , men prancing around with skirts, twirling broom shanks.No , when faced with potential danger to myself and others,I would rather
be effective [hopefully ] than be spiritual /pacifist.If this means causing someone pain so be it.In my book the aggressor deserves what he gets. Maybe giving the bad lad a taste of his own medicine might make him think before he tries to mug /hurt somebody else? Cheers,Joe.