View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
DH
United_States
Re: "Hidden in Plain Sight" - Specific Internal Training

Quote:
Michael Phillips wrote: View Post
Mr Harden,
Is there a Daito ryu dojo or Aunkai group training in Denver? If there is, I'll be happy to venture outside my "self limiting" mindset. Like it or not my present schedule limits me to Denver and Calgary.

FWIW...My box includes the entire planet and your beloved Daito ryu. I'd prefer to remain in that world. However, if I must go outside of that world I'll be happy to do so but, it makes points of reference more difficult for me to absorb and any time on the mat is like a vacation to me given my difficult work schedule.

Best,
Michael Phillips
Hello again
I was responding to this

"So, If a guy like me wants to get a taste of this IM skill where do you go to find it in aikido? Do I really have to go outside aikido? I'm suspicious when people say you can't find it in aikido because I think I've felt it numerous times."
Since you were unsure what IT is or feels like and you "think" you might have felt it in Aikido or Daito ryu already-I thought it might do you well to go somewhere where there is no doubt that the person has IT to one degree or another. Then you could at least say. "Okay I have felt it!..." and then compare it to what you thought you felt elswhere; in aikido or otherwise.
That seems like a win/ win for you.
Sorry you took it the way you did.

To which I wanted to add a few points.
a) There are degrees of IT (internal power) and levels of skill in the use of IT, also in degrees in the use of aiki. Finding it all in a single art may be difficult.
b) You noted yourself how certain men accented the harder aspects or the softer ones. In it's ideal expression in/yo ho is balanced in someone adept at internal power. They are neither hard nor soft; they are both. IT is a balanced state of being. So an exponent can display both qualities not only equally-but at the same time in a single movement.
c) You are mistaken to refer to DR as "my beloved Daito ryu." Nothing could be further from the truth. I am no more a fan of Daito ryu than I am over over any other method, just that DR has proven it can produce exceptional men of power.
Anyway, I wish you well in your search.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-02-2009 at 03:26 AM.