Denmark
Re: My first impressions of training Aikido

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
Sounds like you had fun!
Very much so!

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
Oh and the 12 year practicing "newbie"? Did she practice in a different style of Aikido? Because things can vary greatly and it can be difficult to switch, especially if you spent a lot of time training in a different way. Also, some of us go away for periods of time. I had 13 years between aikido training!
It included many breaks, but I do believe the 12 (or so, could be 14, or 11, it wasn't crazy important to me) years was of actual practice, not including the breaks.
No clue if it was in a different style, didn't ask that much about it. I was just shocked that she could barely do forward rolls after that much training time!

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
It's always fun to get the perspective of a beginner. Consider yourself 'christened'. Seems to be pretty much the way I remember it too!
Can I consider myself Aikidoed instead?

Quote:
Stephen Nichol wrote: View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write all that out. I really enjoyed reading it.
Glad to hear that! I'm also sure my friend in Japan, who studies Aikido, is happy that I stopped emailing him essays by now

Quote:
So creating the right shape in your Uke means doing the technique right yourself.. it is not Uke's fault at all. Uke should not have to fall into the right shape, your actions should create the resulting shape/loss of balance.
That's what I would assume, but since I'm so new, hey, what do I know!
That said, since everything is practised so slow and in steps (partially a Yoshinkan thing, I believe, and partially a "lets not utterly molest the new guy" thing), getting the flow is pretty difficult.

Quote:
Loving tea and cake is mandatory as well.
Yay, tea buddies!

Quote:
Joint locks brought on slowly will build up your joints so that you develop a stronger body.
One of the younger guys, a 20something, has crazy wrist flexibility. It's to the point where I swear you have to born with some sort of bone deficiency to do that stuff - looks hilarious during training though!

Quote:
Usually not on a first date and.. well, we hardly no each other.
I want to have this part, replying to my part, in my signature now! Gave me a real solid laugh!

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
From what you posted, you will like being an honorary Yoshi- orc.
GGRRR! YOSHI-ORC GO SMASH! *tumbles over hakama*

Quote:
But be careful about who you are getting your tips from, because there is only ONE way to do any technique. Sensei knows best, but Yoshinkan there is Yoshinkan everywhere. Get a copy of "Total Aikido, by Gozo Shioda" and do things that way when in doubt.
I was planning to! (First gotta get money for a new gi, though! Pretty sure I can't fit in the one I had when I was 14 :P)
But not sure which book would be best? Gozo Shioda has a ton of different Aikido technique books out!
There's Total Aikido, Dynamic Aikido, Aikido Master Course, and Aikido Complete Basic Techniques. Any recommendations on which would suite me best?
Not only would it be great for keeping up with the techniques (I tend to forget how they were properly done by the next day), but would also help me practice Kihon Dosa at home

Quote:
That Ki stuff is probably real, but it doesn't help your waza, so you can safely ignore it. Perfect technique is the name of the game in your kyu ranks. The other stuff you'll learn after you make Shodan.
We were sitting around discussing Ki after practice a while ago - Apparently Kai Kuniyuki Sensei had said he had spent his life searching for someone who truly held some sort of "mystical" Ki-like power, and had yet to find the real deal. The general attitude in the dojo was the same, it seems. People largely agreed that "Ki" power (as in the mystical sort) was largely the result of stage-hypnosis, and wouldn't affect a person who "didn't know they were supposed to fall down now".
Overall, that attitude suites me just fine, as it reflects my own ideas on it.
That said, if people want to train Ki-Aikido, or any other sort of Ki/Chakra/Chi based art, I don't care, people can train whatever they want!

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Really? I don't think that would go over well here. Here it's beer and peanuts.
I suddenly love your dojo

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
A couple of my Low Impact Aikido students were slow about getting up from mat after warmups a couple of classes in a row so I teased them about "milk and cookies and naptime"....and then showed up one week with milk and cookies :-)
Oh...back to OP....WELCOME to aikido and welcome to aikiweb!!!
Oh you meanie!
And thank you! Though I've been posting on Aikiweb for well over a year