View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 09:02 PM   #19
Suzanne Cooper
Dojo: Retsushinkan Dojo/Alabama
Ok, I'm ready to throw this out. I'm throwing things out tonight [back, knees... ].

Those of us who fell head over heels in love with aikido, but who haven't been really physically active since the final days of ballet at the unversity (just my example--it could be any activity), need to be gently reminded to pace ourselves, even if we don't want to.

At first, I would go at it with such vim and vigor (I love that phrase!) that I ended up missing several days of work when I woke up the day after class and couldn't move!

Tonight, for example, I got good advice on the exact inspiration and expiration--breathing--that should accompany the particular technique we were working on. What a difference! What a sensei who spotted what I needed! (And it seemed to help my pacing.)

And, I agree that beginners need attention. Don't worry that the attention will somehow keep people involved who really don't have an interest. They will drift away and find something else in spite of the attention.

And, I agree that scornful correction is not good. I'm not a long-timer, but somehow I can't image scorn being tolerated at my dojo.

And we have so many interested people, they have to turn them away from the beginner classes.

I got guts, yes I do. I do aikido--do YOU?