View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #32
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States
Re: YouTube: Senshin Center New Video

David,

Have you had success with the knife slap disarm at other dojos? Can you describe what you mean by "this world of suck" where the knife slap has worked better for you than a wrist grab? This is the first time I've ever seen this technique used. Street realism aside for a moment, what bothers me more is it requires uke to attack with a dead hand. What's the premise of Aikido training in a dojo? Appropriate levels of cooperation is common sense, but uke should still provide power applications where all of uke is alive and involved in order to honestly study the interaction of energy between nage and uke. Grabbing the wrist doesn't require a dead uke hand, which is why I recommend it.

In a malicious no other options real life encounter with a skilled armed attacker, I suggest complete compliance to give the attacker a false sense of dominance and security. Then when he provides the right ma-ai I would knock him out. For a female in this position, if the knock out were beyond her abilities, I would recommend to go for the groin with a mae geri or an eye poke. If the attacker isn't that skilled then grabbing the wrist, restraining, and pinning can work. If the attacker is so weak I could actually slap the knife out of the hand, then I would still grab the wrist instead so that the knife doesn't accidentally land on anyone's foot including uke's.