View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #192
c walker
Dojo: Rotherham Aikido Club
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido as Sport: Did O'Sensei Condemn It?

Hi Tony,

This is the first thread I have posted on other than the introduction section since I joined the forum. I may be wrong, but the reason I added my own opinion is that there seems to be a common theme being quite forcefully endorsed. This being, unless you were competing in randori/shiai your Aikido was not going to be a practical or effective martial art. I know for a fact this not to be true. I enjoyed reading your post, and I can see you have a wealth of experience to draw on. I can imagine how unpleasant and unnerving it could be, being on your own in town late at night or on a run down council estate with a group of drunk males for company, but you seem more than up to the job…. I am well mate, thank you for asking.

Hi Demetrio

Although we seem to not share the same opinion on this subject I enjoyed your post.To be honest mate I might have bitten of more than I can chew. I had to look up what intraspecific affective aggression/ inter-specific predatory aggression means

I agree with you that if two guys feel the need to duke it out for whatever reason (normally because they have not got a brain) maybe sometimes at the very beginning it can resemble a sparring match but after the first engagement it looks and feels nothing like competing/sparring in the dojo. As for my Aikido being a budo I sincerely hope it is. I practise diligently both on and off the mat but its definitely an on going process/journey (following the way and all that it entails). You have also took me out of context when I commented on eye gouges/strikes (apologise everyone for turning this bit in to caveman territory) I said
"
As for the eye gouges/strikes mate leave them to the self defence/modern combative guys they are not a viable option in a conflict situation unless your flat on your back being choked."

At no point do I mention this being my first, second or even third option. I was merely commenting that in my opinion, eye gouges are fairly redundant unless your in a compromised grappling position. Take care mate.

Cheers.

P.S. "In my experience, a street punk (even armed) is an easier opponent than someone trained in combat sports." ……..This tells me a lot