View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #295
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: The continued Evolution of Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Buck wrote:

As you know I don't necessarily see things the same way on BJJ/AIKIDO/MMA was you do. Won't rehash that here. However, if you do indeed believe that the distinct difference betweeen aikido and BJJ is based on the allowing or disallowing of harm...

well then I'd say there are alot of hippocritical folks practicing aikido out there as I have learned more how to not hurt folks (In real life, not in the dojo) in BJJ than in aikido. So I'd say in that respect then BJJ might be more authentic or honest.

So you have to be careful about the categorical conclusions you draw based on your paradigm about what something is and what it is not!
From my perspective Aikido does not spend as much time or attention in teaching "how not to hurt," because the paradigm of the art is cooperative and not intended to reach certain levels or aspects of "unrestrained" action seen in BJJ. That is also a false dichotomy because as you know it is precisely certain restraints in the practice of BJJ that allows other things to be less restrained. The approach to restraint is very different in each art.

On the other hand, I do acknowledge a tendency in some aikido training to so allow the image of nonviolent restraint in training to obscure the violent reality in which Aikido actually subsists. To the extent that some people become unaware or operate under some illusions that the things they learn cannot truly be damaging if done poorly or without restraint.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.