View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #26
ryback
Re: Choosing the right Aikido Dojo.

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
Thoughts...

1. A paper on a wall does not an excellent, or even competent, instructor make.

2. However, if the paper on the wall was delivered to the individual instructor from a reputable group, certifying a certain level of proficiency at a level as described therein, then such a certificate does carry some weight with me as I know and understand that such things are not just handed out or Lord forbid, simply sold.

3. Rank may or may not mean anything as it compares/correlates to skil in teaching, and that is a discussion for a different day (or thread...) but rank and/or instructor certification, again from a reputable group who holds itself and its members to proficiency standards, does mean something (to me, at least). Meaning, if... say, Howard Popkin/Joe Brogna give a student a certain rank in the Daito-ryu they practice, I can be assured that, knowing Howard & joe personally, that student-person can do (because they actually had to do them in front of the said Howard/Joe to get the rank certificate) the things that rank represents.
There are always exceptions but most times the paper does not even reflect any sign of excellence even if it is handed by the most reputable and official organization, even Hombu dojo Aikikai... Sometimes it works the opposite way. The more official the recognition, the more misleading...
As for ranks being sold out... Come on! Let's face it and speak the truth! The candidate has to pay to have the testing and then he has to pay again in order to receive the rank... Why should he pay for recognition rightfully earned? And how many times can you "fail" an incompetent candidate who pays for his testing? Not many! In the end you "pass" him in order to also take the fee for his Dan or whatever! And if anybody claims that these things are not happening he is either lying or living in a dreamland!
I am not saying that ranks and recognition is bad, each one of us can make his choice. But we cannot advice anyone to choose the "correct" dojo according to such criteria because they mean nothing!