View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #46
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Why don't we practice chokes?

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Reading Keith's referred article reminded me of a conversation I had a couple of years ago with Dr. Vincent DeMaio at a police conference on in-custody deaths. After reading a number of articles that suggested "choking out" an individual is life-threatening in all cases, I asked him specifically about the classic judo or police carotid restraint technique. As the article suggested, Dr. DeMaio told me that there was no recorded death related to the use of the judo technique in the sport, nor was there any documented death in police training.

I've been "choked out" in training on a number of occasions, both in police defensive tactics classes and on the mat with judo and BJJ players. The experience was exactly like going unconscious under high G forces in an aircraft (I once got to fly the backseat of an F-18 with the Blue Angels and I start going out at 5.9 G and I'm toast at 6.1 G). My vision starts to become tunnel vision and dark, and few seconds or less later, I'm happily napping away. When I recover I am lost for a few seconds and have no idea where I am or how I got there. I haven't found it to be unpleasant except for the sense of disorientation immediately upon recovery.
That tracks quite well with my experience as well. It's not all that horrible to experience, just at first your physical reaction is one of "something is very wrong here...". Then you come back with a bit of "what the hell just happened? Oh, yeah..." mentally.

Quote:
I don't feel the need to go out anymore and I will tap once the technique is firmly and properly applied. If I'm a little slow in tapping, I might start feeling the tunnel vision coming on. The best and most effective applications I've experienced were indeed snakelike and quite gentle.
With ya 100% on that one. The first few times I kept on trying to get out only to wake up later. Being a little calmer, a little older, and not at all with any question about how it works I tap out the moment I feel that they've got it. It's really over at that point and I'm at that stage of my life where I can easily ack that I'm on the losing end...

Quote:
I've used the carotid restraint a number of times on the street with violent suspects and it has never failed me and has never resulted in a suspect injury. On one occasion the carotid restraint literally saved my life. It is a good tool and I truly believe aikido folks should learn the technique, if nothing else in order to learn how to defend against it.
Out of curiosity and understanding if you do not want to reply, were you able to apply them without sustaining any injuries yourself? In other words, did any of the suspects manage to mount any sort of response once you were in position and applying the carotid restraint?